Monday, 29 February 2016

6th class modelling in the dark

Not happy. The class was fun and interesting and challenging but I'm not thrilled with what I produced. To be honest I prefer the shorter pose we did first. I find the longer one looks primitive or expressionist, but not intentionally. I don't recognize it as something I did. Maybe it just needed more time? Or maybe I worked it too much and my skills are not there yet.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Ron, good studies and remarks. Solid modelling and grouping of three values.

    Your drawing skills are more than fine for a 1 1/2 hour study!! In long studies, it is imperative to take breaks and look at your drawing from a distance. Like this, you get to see the drawing as a whole and this process will make you generate ideas and find solutions to problems. If I compare your short study with the long one, I see that the "gestural freshness" of the short one is somehow lost at the long one. In long studies, there is a tendency to smoothen every mark produced at an earlier phase. There is also a tendency to consider that the "design phase" is complete and one should carry on with analysing smaller forms and never returning to the bigger ones. Finally, there is a tendency to spend enough time in specific​ and small​ areas​ and​ ​​forget th​at ​the ​picture​ is one single thing​.

    As a suggestion:

    take often breaks and look at your drawing from far. ​

    ​Always think of gesture​, the unity of the picture. Every mark you put has an effect on the whole picture not only on a small area.

    Think that some marks you put at an early state might survive intact until the end ​

    Finally, never get discouraged because things are not going as you planned, use this opportunity​ to experiment an idea: you might surprise yourself.​

    ReplyDelete