This was a good lesson in composition. I feel most of the times when I create a drawing or a painting, composition is at the back of my mind. Hence at times I will accidentally make the drawing too small on the page (the size of the page being my parameters) or so large that I end up cutting important details out. Examples would be my third drawing, the torso, I feel the composition would have been nicer if I had included her neck, her belly, and some of her arms then as well in my last drawing, the portrait, I wish I hadn't cut off her head...not to mention this doesn't even look like our poor Phoebe... also I cheated and continued to tweak the last two drawings outside of class.. hehe..Stuff to work on and habits to cut out!
Hi Anik, it's not cheating at all to keep working on it! I think it shows your abilities are more advanced. I'm starting to sound like the teacher... But can I just add that I think the compositions are all interesting but I agree the third could have been just a tad less cropped. I think the portrait is great, compositionally and otherwise.
ReplyDeleteRon
Thanks Ron!
ReplyDeleteI think the third is a very interesting image. It's very subjective though, might be because of my particular interest for symmetry. I love the way it looks at me in the eyes! Symbolical, with abstract qualities, good modeling, interesting light and shadow contrasts...you gave a lot of attention and we see it, it's a good habit to continue your studies at home, would be great to do it for every study we do in class if you could!!! Good job with the last one as well. I love the portrait and the hand, but their relation to the neck and the background needs to be found better. Do not worry about cutting things from the image. If it's not wanted, it tends to trouble you, but see it as a challenge, every "framing" can work, framing is not composition. How will you adjust your straight and curves? How will you model and shade? What is the gesture in the frame? These are questions to think of as you continue to work on your piece.
ReplyDelete